Wednesday, November 10, 2010

November 11th: A Day for Heroes

I'm going to write about November 11th a day early, because tomorrow I'll be home taking care of Austin, who is having all four wisdom teeth cut out in the morning. I'm hoping it will be quick and easy, and that he's not in a lot of pain.

Back to November 11th...
As we all know, it's Veterans Day. It's not just some random day that the banks are closed, and that school is dismissed. It's a day to honor all the men & women who have served or is serving in our military. These men & women put the love they have for this country above everything else. The life of a soldier isn't easy. It's long hours at the motor pool, it's deployment after deployment, it's time, a lot of time, away from their families. It's hard physically and mentally. It takes its toll on the body and mind. And, if you ask those servicemembers if they would do it all over again, I promise you, they will say yes.

They are heroes.

There's another reason that November 11th is special to me. It is my grandfather's birthday. He would have been 84 tomorrow. My grandfather was a WWII vet, the father of six, an insurance salesman, a pool shark, and the most wonderful man that I ever met. He was funny, and kind, and full of knowledge--mostly useless tidbits of information that left you wondering, "How did he know that?"...
He wore Hawaiian shirts, and rocked a handlebar moustache. He loved Christmas, and square dancing. He loved his wife, and his family.

He was my hero.

1 comment: