Friday, November 12, 2010

It's hard being a mom!

Last night, I was scared to death that something was really wrong with Austin. I was scared to the point that we almost loaded up and went to the ER. Even though his wisdom teeth came out with no problems, the aftermath was not good at all. Yesterday afternoon, he was in tears because he was in so much pain. I haven't seen that child cry because something hurt since he was a little boy. I felt so helpless. I wanted to cry, too.
Then, last night he started vomiting. And, not to be gross, but it was gross! There was blood, lots of blood, and this really, really dark liquid. The poor child had barely eaten anything all day, so I was amazed of what all came out of him. It freaked me out. He was bleeding a lot more than he should. We called his doctor, who is also a friend of ours, and he told us to soak some tea bags and then pack them into Austin's mouth to see if that helped with the bleeding. It did. And, about midnight, Austin was able to keep a milkshake down. We then crawled in bed. It had been a long day for he and I both!
I think the vomiting was a combination of his antibiotic, the blood draining into his stomach, and maybe even the anesthesia. Today, he seems much better. He's still very swollen. I jokingly said that he looked like Martin Short's character, Jiminy Glick. He didn't find it funny.

My best friend had a bad night as well. Her son, who is thirteen, was injured at football practice and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. They thought he tore his ACL. Luckily, it was just a sprain, and he's going to be okay. She typically stays for practice, she'll return phone calls, read a magazine or whatnot. Last night, she had left to go pick out a puppy as a surprise Christmas gift. The one night she isn't there, he has to leave in an ambulance.

Gosh, this mom stuff is hard work! I think we deserve a margarita!

1 comment:

  1. Margaritas all around!!!

    Hope Austin has a better weekend!

    ReplyDelete