Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Soccer? Baseball? Football?

Fall sports are up and running for Hankadoo. Last night was his first soccer practice. He was so excited! For one, he loves soccer. But, another reason is that he was able to show off his new soccer cleats. He is my child afterall! He was excited over shoes! I have to admit, his new soccer cleats are awesome. They are the gray/bright orange Nike's that a lot of the teams wore in the World Cup this summer. When we came across them in the Zappos outlet a few weeks ago, I really believe Hank had a case of lust. When I realized they were on sale, and had an additional mark downs, I couldn't pass them up. They are a little big, but with his soccer socks on, they aren't bad. He is so proud of them. He couldn't wait to show them off. Maybe shoes make the man.
His coach seemed really nice, and he knew what he was doing. He made practice fun, but they were working on skill drills the entire time. The boys on his team have all played before, so I think they'll have a good team, and a fun season. Hank really enjoys soccer, and I can see him staying with it. We'll be the mini-van family with the soccer ball decal on the back, that's fine with me.

Baseball on the other hand, is a different story! Hank had played softball this summer, and really loved it. There wasn't a fall softball league, so we decided to try baseball. It's a six-week learner league that preps them for the upcoming spring season. With his age group, they use the pitching machine, it's not coach pitched. I knew that Hank would have some trouble with the machine since he's never used it before. That was to be expected. When you go from a slow,coach pitch to a machine that pitches at 40mph, there's going to be some balls that you don't hit!
What I didn't expect was how serious and competitive a six/seven-year-old baseball team would be, or that Hank would absolutely hate it. He went to one practice, and asked if he had to go back. He did not like it at all. I'm not going to force him to do something, and if he doesn't like it, that's fine. I really wish he'd give it more of a try though. I kept reminding him that he had to practice at soccer and softball before he liked them, and maybe he needed to do that with baseball, too. We shall see. To be honest, I'm not going to get my feelings hurt if he decides to just give it up. I want him to have fun, and enjoy sports, not to feel like it's something he has to do. To me, sports are recreational, for fun..not a part of life. I didn't have good vibes last week when we were at practice. The parents were insane! I think they live and breathe that ballpark. It seemed like they expected these six and seven year old little boys to play like a high school team going to the state tournament.

Hank told me, "I don't really like baseball. I don't think I'll ever like it. Can't I just play softball next summer with Coach Joey where I can have fun, and see my friends?" Yes, Hank. You sure can!
I actually saw his softball coach today, and I told him what Hank had said, and that he didn't like baseball, etc. Coach Joey said he'd love for Hank to be on his team next year. Then he told me that Hank should try football! He can see where Hank would be great at it, and absolutely love it. AGH!! Not another sport to add to the mix. But, if he wants to, I'll sign him up. There's nothing wrong with trying something new. I would rather him try these things now when he's young and see what he likes and what he doesn't like than get older decide to try his hand at something.

No comments:

Post a Comment