Thursday, August 12, 2010

If you don't know, then say, "I'm sorry..I don't know!"

Why is that so hard for people to grasp? Yesterday, I was on the phone with the nurse at my doctor's office and she was very, quicky going over the results of all my lab work. (I went in last Friday to have my thyroid checked, and while I was there, my doctor ordered all kinds of other lab work to be done.) The nurse tells me that my TSH level was high, and that my doctor had written me a prescription to start medication. I asked her, "So, does that mean it is Hypo or Hyper?" to which she replies, "Ummm (pause) it's Hyper."
Okaaay....I didn't think this sounded right. I researched both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism before my appointment. I knew that my symptoms and signs pointed to hypo, not hyper. After, I got off the phone, I researched some more. And, I knew she, indeed, told me wrong. My pharmacist confirmed this when I picked up my prescription.
I wish she would have just said, "I'm sorry, I don't know!"
Hypotyroidism and Hyperthyroidism are very different, and do very different things to your body. If I hadn't have done my homework on this, and just took her word, things could have been bad. I could have ended up feeling a lot worse than I have.
I have to go back and see my doctor next month, and when I do, I'm going to tell her about what her nurse told me. I would rather someone be honest with me and say, "I don't know!" than to tell me wrong information of what they *think* is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment