Thursday, August 19, 2010

Big Dolores

Now, anyone that really knows me knows that "Hope Floats" is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have watched it over and over, and will continue to do so for years to come.
Today, the one scene that keeps coming to me is where Big Dolores calls Bernice "Pop-Eyes" because of her glasses. Well, I'm a "Pop-Eyes"...

I have some yuckiness going on in my right eye, so I was forced to wear my glasses today. And, again, anyone that really knows me knows that I hate wearing my glasses. Since I'm basically blind as a bat, my glasses lenses are thick. They've been that way all my life. I had my first pair of glasses at 18-months old. My first pair of contacts in 2nd grade. I have accepted the fact that I have bad eyes.

I'm amazed at the amount of adults who will say, "Oh my gosh, you must be blind. Your glasses are sooo thick, they look like the bottoms of coke bottles"
Thanks for that reminder. I had somehow forgotten that.

Here I am, 30-something-years-old, and the thought of a Big Dolores still hurts my feelings. I am so self-conscience when I have my glasses on. I guess there's things that regardless of age, or wisdom will always remind you of being eight-years-old and getting picked on at recess. Big Dolores just isn't the mean kid at school, she's everywhere. Maybe I'll change my name to Bernice.

1 comment:

  1. I'll never, ever call you Pop Eyes. I will however, refer to you as the Queen of Corn!

    ReplyDelete