Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lima Beans or Chocolate?

I'm trying to decide what to give up for Lent. I know it needs to be something that you have to make an effort to work at. I can't say, "Oh, I'm giving up lima beans"... I don't eat lima beans. Period.
I don't remember giving anything up last year, but I know the year before I gave up all meat. I did really well with it. I had to think about what I could eat and plan accordingly.
I've thought about giving up alcohol, but I really do like my occasional Blue Moon or margarita. I've thought about caffeine, but I think I'd break that by 4:30 this afternoon. My family and co-workers would probably hate me if I tried to give up my Diet Coke! I've considered sweets. That would be really, really difficult. So, I'm toying with giving up chocolate. That would be easier than all sweets. But, I'd have to put forth a lot of effort. Little Debbie Star Crunches have been my chocolate vice of choice the past few weeks. They don't help my quest to lose weight, but they sure do help my sweet tooth, and the curb my chocolate/sweet fix. Trying to decide what to give up can be a hard decision to make. A friend of mine is struggling with giving up fast food or Charlie Sheen!
Some people start something during Lent instead of giving something up. I'm really thinking about this also. We've fallen out of the habit of going to church. And, I can't think of a better opportunity to start going again than during this season of Lent. There for a while, we were going to both the Methodist church that Joe grew up attending and also the Catholic church that I was baptised and confirmed into almost two years ago. I actually enjoyed attending both services on Sunday mornings. Somehow, we fell out of the habit of going to one service, much less two.
So, now I think it's time to make a decision... we'll get up for church on Sunday, and I'll give up chocolate for Lent.
Time will tell which of the two is harder...

No comments:

Post a Comment