Friday, March 18, 2011

Dental Anxiety


For years, I've had dental anxiety. I would have panic attacks, break out in a sweat, get sick to my stomach, etc, etc. I had a horrible experience with having two wisdom teeth out. I ended up with dry sockets and was in the worst pain in my life. I would rather go through child birth and having my appendix out at the same time than reliving the dry sockets. I was in the dentist office 14 times in 17 days, I missed two weeks of work, I lost 12 pounds (well, that part wasn't bad!)...I basically wanted to die. I laid on the couch for days with a bag of frozen peas on my face. After all that, who wouldn't have dental anxiety?
Now, several, okay many, years later, I do really well when I go to the dentist. I don't freak out, I don't break out into a sweat. I love my dentist. He is the sweetest, kindest man that I have ever met. I actually got to know him through work, he's also our county coroner! The coroner is part of county government since it's an elected official. After seeing what kind of wonderful person he is, I knew that I'd be comfortable with him as my dentist. I recommend him to anyone and everyone when the discussion of a dentist comes up. He's the best. So is his staff. Although, I wish my hygienist wouldn't ask me questions while my mouth is wide open and she's cleaning my teeth. It makes it a little hard to talk! And, she makes me laugh. That's also not good when you're mouth is wide open and she has sharp instruments in her hand.
When I had those two wisdom teeth out, the dentist told me that if the other two ever needed to come out, it would have to be oral surgery.
Today, when I was at my regular cleaning, my wonderful dentist who I adore said the words I've been dreading for a long, long time.
"You need to go ahead and get those other two wisdom teeth taken out!"
Crap. I guess I HAVE to now!
Just when I'm getting over my dental anxiety, I have to have oral surgery. I know the minute I sit my butt in that chair I'm going to freak out! It's not anything that has to be done this very instant, but I know that if I don't get the ball rolling that I'll never do it. So, I'm going to call our buddy the oral surgeon and talk to him. I know I'd be in good hands, and that I'll be fine. But, it's still scary.
I'm going to put my big girl panties on and schedule my surgery. July or August sounds good, what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think July would be perfect but you should have it here so you can recover in my guest room. When you're well enough, we can go out for margaritas!

    ReplyDelete