Monday, January 3, 2011

It's all about the hat!!



The Kentucky Derby may be 119 days away, yet I'm already thinking about a hat! I may not be going to the Derby, but I still need an awesome hat for the Kentucky Oaks.

The Oaks is the first Friday in May, the day before the derby. It's a girl day! The fillies race, the day is dedicated to wearing pink in support of breast cancer awareness, and I'm very excited to be going this year. So excited that I have already started thinking about what kind of dress and hat that I want!

I love all things related to the Kentucky Derby. I don't know if it's because I'm a born and bred Kentucky girl, or if it's the fact that my birthday will sometimes fall on Derby Day, but whatever the reason, Derby Week is one of my favorite times of the year. I watch the local news everyday when they broadcast from the track, I research the horses, the jockeys, the trainers. I read the gossip sites to see what celebrities may be coming to Louisville. I go to the Derby Festival concert, and I look at picture after picture of the hats!

I had planned on going to the Derby last year for my birthday. I was turning 35, and my birthday was actually on Derby Day. To me, that was a sign. However, my plans were pushed aside due to all the other chaos and craziness that we had going on last spring. In the long run, I was glad that I didn't go. It poured down rain all day, and Churchill Downs was a huge, muddy mess. I felt so sorry for all those women there with their gorgeous dresses and hats. A clear plastic baggie really doesn't do much for a great hat. They looked miserable. I enjoyed watching from the couch in my sweats and tee.

I'm really looking forward to that first Friday in May and watching the Run for the Lillies. I will have a great hat to mark the event!!

No comments:

Post a Comment