Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Deployed Husband Card....

There are certain times and situations where the 'Deployed Husband Card' can be played. And, when used correctly, it is a very effective move. But, military wives need to be careful when playing this card because it may not always work in their favor!

I had a military wife try and play the card on me yesterday! Me? Of all people! I had to laugh. She did not get my sympathy. Instead, she got a "Honey, you're barking up the wrong tree! I've been there, done that and have the tee shirt to prove it! I'm sorry he's deployed, but that is not a good enough reason for YOU to screw up!"

Here's what happened... a few weeks ago, Hank was doing a fundraiser for the school by selling items from a catalog (magazines, frozen pretzels, candy, etc.) and the items were supposed to be picked up yesterday afternoon at the school. So, at 2:10, the president of the PTA calls me to tell me that Hank's items weren't processed and obviously didn't get delivered. They would be in next week. When I'm questioning her as to why this was just now discovered, she replies with, "It's my fault. I'm sorry. My husband is deployed to Afghanistan and I'm just going crazy! I just completely missed processing a bunch of orders"

Oh, really? So, because your husband is gone, your PTA duties fall short and you don't do your job? Not an excuse in my book. Come to find out, she didn't process half of the fifth grade orders, a class in third grade, and for whatever reason, a few in first grade. How do you miss this?

Like I said, there are times and situations that the 'deployed husband card' works very well, and when used on the right person is quite effective. You just need to know when to use it! Unfortunately for her, yesterday was not the time, and I was not the right person! I appreciate what she's doing for the school, and I most definitely appreciate what her husband is doing. It is very hard to balance kids, volunteering, work and having a spouse deployed, I know this. I've done this. I'm not trying to take that away or make light of it, I just think Ms. PTA needs a lesson on when to play 'the card'..........

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for calling her on that! It's wives (or girlfriends in some cases) like that make the rest of us look bad.

    ReplyDelete