Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Picnics, Cupcakes, and Warts???

Saying last week was crazy busy is really an understatement. It was very hectic. But, I survived!

The county picnic was a success. The morning started out with a little rain, but the weather broke and it was a goregous day! I did get nervous at one point when I had people there to pack carry-out boxes, and no food! Once the food arrived, we were an assembly line! I think we packed 190 to-go boxes in less than an hour! We had around 120 show up to eat there. And, then I sent all the leftovers to the EMS station for the crews there. I had ordered 15 pork loins, sliced for sandwiches, and one of the guys from the Road Department did all our grilling. I picked up 80 pounds of potato salad, we had green beans & baked beans and then cookies, cakes and brownies for dessert. We had a lot of food!! All in all, I was proud of myself for pulling it off again this year. I think everyone had a good time. If they didn't, oh well!

Friday morning's baking was great. All the cupcakes turned out perfect. I made little gumpaste pumpkins to put on top of the pumpkin cupcakes. I was feeling good about my baking adventures. It was Friday afternoon that the baking gods were not on my side. I had bought fall themed silicone pans to bake the brownies in. I thought pumpkin and leaf shaped brownies would be cute. Nope, they looked awful! I had to come up with another plan. So, Plan B was to make brownie bites from my mini-muffin pans. I didn't like the brand of brownie mix that I had bought, but they turned out, and were pretty good. Except for the pan that I left laying on the stove to cool. The oven was still on, so they continued to bake! I had brownie bricks!
I made the big cupcake. And, when I went to carve part of it to shape it better, it fell apart. Crap. I had to re-bake the top part of the cupcake. Crap. I had planned on baking and frosting all the cupcakes on Friday, and then putting them in a Rubbermaid container, so I'd be done. Well, I realized that I couldn't do that because the cream cheese frosting couldn't stay out. Crap.
When I went to fill the yellow cupcakes with raspberry filling, a raspberry must have been stuck in the tip. And, when I applied a little more pressure, I had a raspberry explosion! Raspberry filling went all over me, the cupcakes, the table. I literally had it in my hair. It was a mess. I ended up throwing my hair in ballcap and going to Hank's soccer game.

Saturday morning, Hank had another game. I should had stayed home to finish the cupcakes, but I knew he'd be upset if I missed it. I went to his game, and then ran around like a crazy mad woman trying to get the cupcakes finished, me showered and ready, clothes ironed, etc. and then get out the door to head to the reception. There was still a lot to do before the guests arrived.
Stevie was beautiful, and Andrew was very handsome. They are the perfect together and I couldn't have picked a better person for my little sister! The party was fun. We chowed down on chicken wings, played some cornhole, ate some cupcakes, and visited with family and friends.
Everyone ate the cupcakes and brownies, and I was so relieved. It may be a while before I turn the oven on again to do any baking.

I spent Sunday cleaning house, and doing laundry. Yesterday, the boys were out of school for a professional development day. I toook advantage of the day off and made PJ an appointment for a sports physical so he can wrestle, and Hank an appointment to have the wart looked at on the top of his foot. PJ got the go ahead to wrestle. He's 5'6 (and a half!) and weighs 131 pounds. I'm guessing he will try to beef up and wrestle in the 135 weight class. He may be a little guy compared to all his friends, but he's nothing but muscle. I'm anxious to see him wrestle. He has conditioning and practice until late October and then the matches will start.
They froze Hank's wart. And, I'm guessing we'll have to go back in next month and have them do it again. He was mad at me last night because I made him miss his soccer game. He wasn't mad at the doctor, but me. Go figure.

I'm hoping this week will be calm and not so busy. It's still waaay to hot here. Late September and the high today is supposed to be 94. Stupid global warming.

No comments:

Post a Comment