Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My beef with the WWE

When my big boys were little boys, they were wrestling fans. Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, Big Show, etc. were a part of my household. So, there's no surprise that Hank is now a fan of WWE. I'm fine with little boys being a fan of Raw and Smackdown. I'm fine with little boys looking at John Cena and Sheamus as heroes. I'm even fine with Hankadoo doing his wrestling moves on my king-size bed every day, and perfecting his 'signature move' even if it does sound like he's about to come through the ceiling.

What I'm not fine with is a clip of last night's Monday Night Raw that Hank was watching before school this morning. There was Kane, who is huge, and not known to be the most-friendly of sorts wrestling a lesser know newcomer. I didn't see what happened in the ring, but the part I did see was Kane beating the crap out of this poor guy. To the point that he left the arena in an ambulance.

Now, I'm a grown woman, I know it's fake. I know it's staged. But, to a seven-year-old little boy, it's not fake. It's real.

So, here's my beef: During WWE shows, there's a commercial that airs about not bullying, not being mean to others. It's a great commercial. I applauded the WWE the first time I saw it because it's a great message for the kids that look at these wrestling stars as something larger than life. I know if Randy Orton or Daniel Bryan says not to bully, it's going to be heard a lot louder than if silly old Momma says the same thing.

So how is it that the WWE can air this commercial promoting the message of non-bullying and then ten minutes later have a huge, massive man beat the crap out of someone?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a wrestling fan but I also live in the pink house (I admit, I was when I was really little)---and I'm sorry, the person at the tv channel who chose to run that commercial was foolish. It does send a hypocritical message.

    ReplyDelete