Friday, August 5, 2011

Eighteen? Seriously?

Tomorrow, Austin turns 18. EIGHTEEN! How has that happened? It doesn't seem possible.

When he was younger, maybe 12 or so, we were talking about tattoos and he said, "I'm getting my first tattoo the day I turn eighteen!"

Now, I can't say anything about getting a little ink. I have a tattoo and Joe has several. But, I don't think any parent ever wants to hear their child say they are getting a tattoo. Much less planning for it six years in advance! We came up with some conditions about getting a tattoo the very day he turned 18. They were:

1.It had to have the Mom Stamp of Approval. (I'm not going to say yes to the Hatchetman emblem or something else crazy representing the music he listens to)
2.It had to be a decent location. (Not on his knuckles, or God forbid, the side of his neck!)
3.It had to be something he won't regret later on in life. (Because really how many 40 year old men still like their Taz dunking a basketball tattoo they got when they were 18 and drunk? My guess is not many!)

He agreed to my conditions, and he's picked out a Celtic cross that he's getting done on his upper chest. I'm okay with this. What I'm not okay with is hearing, "why did you let him do that?" from my mother! But, I look at this way-- he's 18. I can't stop him. He can do it on his own. I may as well go with him to make sure he doesn't do something stupid that he'll regret. There's a lot of other ways a boy can celebrate his 18th birthday, what's a little ink?

No comments:

Post a Comment