Saturday, October 29, 2011

Teachers

When you were in high school, who was your favorite teacher?

I had several. One was my U.S. History teacher. He was smart. He was outspoken. He didn't take any crap from anyone. Not only did he teach us about the civil war, he taught us about life. Those life lessons are the ones we remember the most. I still see him on occassion, and he's still ornery and outspoken. He said the same thing about me!

Another of my favorites was my, well, I don't remember what class I had her for! It was some business class, I know that. I do remember typing, but I also remember her teaching us 'business manners'...how to sit with a skirt on, and how to answer the phone. She was also the Senior class sponsor, so we spent a lot of time doing fun things like decorating for homecoming, and practicing our Bruin yell.  She taught us: "It's okay not to be perfect. No one is perfect. We all have flaws and we all make mistakes."

In high school, my Home Economics teacher was great. She taught us how to cook,  there's no doubt. But, it's been the years after high school that I have truly realized how amazing this woman is!  She is extremly active in her church. (She sang at Kasey's wedding last year). She's involved in many different community organizations. (We just saw her at the Women's Club Harvest Breakfast). She dotes on her family. (Her hubby is pretty awesome, too!) She's writing a cookbook. And, as full as her plate is,  whenever I see her, she's never too busy for a hug and conversation. I have never met someone as full of love and kindness as she is. She touches everyone she meets, and I simply adore her. 

A few years ago, she was having a cookie decorating demonstration at Barnes & Noble, and I took Hank. He decorated some cookies,  I took some pictures, and we both were loved on by Mrs. S.  Last week, I had a Facebook message from Mrs. S asking if she could use the picture of her and Hankadoo in her cookbook. Well, yes!! Of course. 

I can't wait for her cookbook to come out. Not because it may have Hank's picture in it! I'm sure many of her former students, churchmembers and other members of the community will buy it simply because it's from someone we all admire and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment