Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bringing the past to the present...


When my big boys were very little boys, they loved "The Lion King" movie. We watched it daily. Some days, we watched it more than once. Some days that was all we watched! I don't think the VHS tape ever came out of the VCR. The old tape finally gave out, and we've long replaced the VCR. I haven't given much thought to Simba, Mufasa and Rafiki since then.  Until recently. The movie was re-released into the theaters, and released on Blu-Ray. Austin took his girlfriend to the theater to see it, and when they were talking about how great it was, and how it brought back memories of being little, it occurred to me that Hank has never seen it. How could this be?  We had to change that. I knew that he would love it as much as his brothers did.

Last night, we picked up the DVD, some ice cream, and declared movie night. We all piled on the couch, and soon we were caught up in Scar's evil plan, and laughing at Timon. I was right, Hank loved it. And, seeing my big boys (who are practically adults now)  laugh and giggle like they did when they were much younger made me smile. At one point, when I looked over at Austin and PJ, I didn't see the long-legged Austin, with his deep voice and chin whiskers. I didn't see the buff PJ, who is getting broader every day.  I saw the little boys who used to hit rewind on the VCR, and jump up on down on the couch when Simba sang "Just Can't Wait to Be King"....

And even though Hank isn't going to jump up and down on the couch and sing, I find it great that things my big boys loved when they were little are also things that Hank loves now.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I know I've said it before, but you guys really do have the sweetest boys!

    ReplyDelete