Friday, September 2, 2011

When I.....

How many times did you say that when you were little? I imagine it was a lot. When I was a little girl, I would say "When I grow up: I'm going to have a huge house, I'm going to be mayor, I'm going to have little girls and do their hair every day, I'm going to stay up late, I'm going to never be the mean mom, I'm going to...." The list could go on forever.

Now, that I'm actaully a grown up, I find myself saying, "When I get old........"

I'm blessed to have several very special older people in my life. They range in age from late 70's to late 80's.  And, when I look at them, I have nothing but admiration and love.

The older gentleman that I work with is 77-years-old, and last night he went to a football game two hours away in Nashville. He didn't get home until after three this morning, and yet, he was in the office by 7:30 with coffee in hand. I know my butt would be dragging if that was me! But, he's as happy and chipper as always. Now, that's not to say that I won't catch him napping at his desk later today.  He has this easy-going way about him that I love, and even though it can be frustrating at times, working with him is one of the best parts of my job.

I am very lucky to have both of my grandmothers still living. One is 82, the other 87. They keep everything written down on a calendar, not to keep track of doctor's appointments, but to keep track of their social life. Grandma J meets all her old lady friends every Thursday for margaritas! It's a standing date, and those old women won't miss Margarita Night come hell or high water. Grandma D hasn't been feeling very well the past few weeks, so she's been taking it easy and resting. When she feels good, she's out and about every day. Quilt Club, Homemakers, Forever Young, etc. etc.

I look at these spunky grandmothers of mine, and Mr. Bob, and I can't help but think, "When I get old........"

1 comment:

  1. What awesome role models you have for when we're living in our Golden Girls condo on the beach!! I'm all about Thursday Margarita Night!

    ReplyDelete