Friday, June 25, 2010

Homeruns, Mohawks & A Mom's Night Out

This has been another crazy week! Hankadoo hit his first homerun the other night at softball. The look on his face when he came across homeplate was priceless. He was all smiles. The homerun couldn't have come at a better time. Earlier in the game, when he batted, he had an automatic out for slinging the bat. He was so upset. He felt like he had let his team down, and that they were going to be mad at him for messing up. When he got up to bat the next time, I'll admit, I said a quick prayer along the lines of, "Dear God, please, please, please let him have a good hit this time".... I know that's not a thing to pray for, but I couldn't help it. I didn't want to see him upset the rest of the night! Not sure if it was my quick little prayer, or his determination, but whatever it was, it worked. He hit that ball, it took off flying, and he took off running to the cheers of parents, coaches, and his teammates. It was a great moment! I was a proud momma! He followed it up last night with another homerun. The last game of the season is Monday, and I'm hoping he ends his first experience with playing ball on a high note. I've loved this experience, and I think we'll be at the ballpark alot more in the future years.

I normally consider myself a cool, easy-going, mom. I've let Austin dye his hair purple, and bright red. I let him wear clothes that I hate, and listen to music that I can't stand. I think I'm pretty coolabout things. But, this week, that wasn't really the case. I get home the other night and Austin is sporting a mohawk! I lost it. I told him that I hated it, it was horrible, and that he needed to shave it off completely. Looking back, I handled the situation very wrong. I know that I hurt his feelings, and I was a lot more harsh that I should have been. I apologized to him. I tried to explain why I got so mad. For one, he didn't okay it with me first. And, two--he's looking for a summer job. Noone is going to hire a 17-year-old kid with a mohawk! When I got home from work yesterday, he had shaved it off. He is buzzed to the skin. He actually looks like he's at Basic Training. I like it though, his big, dark eyes just pop and his smile looks even bigger. I asked him if we were okay, and he said, "Yeah. Mom, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that behind your back."

I saw a quote a few weeks ago, and it has just stuck with me.
"Of all the animals, the boy is the most unmanageable" --Plato
I couldn't agree more!!

Tonight I'm going out with a group of ladies for a much needed, much deserved, Mom's Night Out! I'm ready for a Cosmo, chick-time, and a big plate of food!

1 comment: